CheySecondLife

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Friday, January 6, 2012

The Lindens are Stingy With Resources

Posted on 2:40 AM by Unknown
Two of Lilith Heart's Three-Prim Strelitzia on the Volcano Pele
Two of Lilith Heart's One-Prim Sculpted Strelitzia on the Volcano Pele
Since the Photos Don't Quite Show the Difference, Here is:
One-Prim Sculpted Strelitzia at Left, Three-Prim Strelitzia at Right
Written 6 January, 2012

The Lindens are Stingy With Resources

Second Life is ever so much more rich and complex than it was when I first came here in 2006. There are all sorts of new features: Windlight skies, new physics and scripting engines, sculpted prims, voice, and now mesh-- many of which require more computing horsepower than did the 2006 version of Second Life.

Sculpted Prims and now mesh create visually complex objects that use far fewer prims than would have been possible in 2006. I have, for instance, sculpted from Lilith Heart that use but one prim but provide a patch of foliage that would have required 100 of her original three-prim plants-- and the one-prim mesh piano pictured in the previous post would have required well more than 100 prims.

This means we can make our sims and parcels more complex, more dense. We can fill them up with more stuff while keeping our prim counts steady or even decreasing them.

We've done that on Whimsy. Over the past three-and-a-half years we've added feature after feature while maintaining around 2500 free prims. It's wonderful.

And yet over the past five years computers have become faster and more powerful-- and cheaper.

The Lindens have taken advantage of cheap processing power by cramming more regions on each server; rather than allotting a portion of the increased horsepower to each region, they simply add more regions.

This is hardly fair.

I call upon Linden Lab to give us more processing power-- at least 25% more, to allow heavily loaded sims to run faster.

And while you're at it, how about giving us at least 25% more prims for each region.

Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • Life 2.0... Finally
    Sweetie and I have been wanting to see Jason Springarn-Koff's 2009 Second Life-based documentary Life 2.0 since forever. Tonight we fou...
  • Glitch and Happenstance: Part I: Capturing the Moment
    Written 25 January, 2011 Glitch and Happenstance Part I: Capturing the Moment Here's a collection of photos I've taken over the year...
  • Chey's Hair Base
    Written 21 November, 2010 Chey's Hair Base I have a long head which is not attractive when I'm not wearing prim hair. Of course, I a...
  • Glitch and Happenstance: Part III: Contrived Photos
    Written 25 January, 2011 Glitch and Happenstance Part III: Contrived Photos Police Raid on the Forsaken Sim Adventures in Perspective My fri...
  • Glitch and Happenstance: Part VI: Sweetie, Snapshot Wizard
    Written 25 January, 2011 Glitch and Happenstance Part VI: Sweetie, Snapshot Wizard
  • Micro Ostrich
    That's me at Sweetie's feet-- A tiny ostrich with a windup key. Just LOOK how tiny!
  • I Work on the Swamp
    Written 7 June, 2011 I Work on the Swamp I tweaked the little swamp on Whimsy today-- added a crane and a red-eared turtle and this lurking ...
  • Plants
    Three-Prim Plants Make the World A Better Place Written 6 March, 2011 Plants I love Second Life plants. They transform inhospitable landscap...
  • Runaway Giraffes
    Written 19 November, 2010 Runaway Giraffes Our sim neighbor Leaf has put a herd of giraffes on the Whimsical Mischief sim, which can be foun...
  • Kaboom Rocket
    Written 27 January, 2011 Kaboom Rocket For a while now Sweetie and I have been puzzing about how to transport avatars from this little islan...

Categories

  • Marnix (1)
  • Second Life (1)

Blog Archive

  • ►  2013 (74)
    • ►  September (2)
    • ►  August (6)
    • ►  July (7)
    • ►  June (15)
    • ►  May (7)
    • ►  April (4)
    • ►  March (25)
    • ►  February (3)
    • ►  January (5)
  • ▼  2012 (101)
    • ►  December (3)
    • ►  November (14)
    • ►  October (23)
    • ►  September (10)
    • ►  August (17)
    • ►  July (2)
    • ►  June (3)
    • ►  May (7)
    • ►  March (9)
    • ►  February (7)
    • ▼  January (6)
      • Politic Against SOPA and PIPA
      • Stop SOPA!
      • Blogger Maintenance
      • Erratum
      • The Lindens are Stingy With Resources
      • A New Way to Count Prims
  • ►  2011 (198)
    • ►  December (20)
    • ►  November (15)
    • ►  October (9)
    • ►  September (31)
    • ►  August (12)
    • ►  July (15)
    • ►  June (9)
    • ►  May (12)
    • ►  April (20)
    • ►  March (15)
    • ►  February (17)
    • ►  January (23)
  • ►  2010 (127)
    • ►  December (26)
    • ►  November (20)
    • ►  October (50)
    • ►  September (18)
    • ►  August (13)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile