CheySecondLife

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Can't... Reach... the... Mute... Button... ARRGH!

Posted on 11:46 AM by Unknown
Written 8 May, 2011

Can't... Reach... the... Mute... Button... ARRGH!

Welcome areas tend to have no end of obnoxious and deliberately insulting people-- from newbies drunk with power who like to spam the chat by hitting return after every word and make rude gestures or brandish freenises, to year-old cynical twentysomethings who come to be cool and generally fall short of that mark.

In a Battle of Wits it is Not Wise to Arrive Lightly Armed
And there is of course the occasional griefer who fills the area with Mario heads or purple cubes.

When something is being particularly obnoxious people will mute them, and some will declare it.

"Muting Obnoxio23 Resident."

Sometimes it gets personal between a couple of residents. When that happens one party will often say they're muting the other-- but it's clear they don't, for they continue to react to the other person's taunts and insults.

If you open Chat History and check the box that reads "See Muted Text" you can see what muted people are saying, but it's pretty clear some people have trouble actually hitting the mute button. When they don't, they're just prolonging the drama.

I find mute wondrously effective-- but then I learned long ago that what people are saying about me is none of my business.

That was a tremendously hard concept for me to grasp, but once I did the world became less burdensome.

When I mute people, the drama is ended, instantly and forever-- unless I chose to remove them from my mute list. They become silent gray people-- sort of like accountants. But if I'm not strong enough, determined enough, to hit mute, they're still in my face, still insulting me, and I'm still unhappy.

I'm trained as a behaviorist, and I know and believe that behavior is maintained by its consequences. When taunts and insults are ineffective, the bully eventually stops. And when bullies are convinced they she can no longer be heard or seen, they realize there's no upside in continuing and go away to look for someone else to bother.

It's rather like getting a phone call from a breather. What you DON'T want to do is:

"Hello? Hello? Who is this? Why won't you say your name? I know you're there! I can hear you breathing! I'm going to call the cops! Why don't you stop? I'm going to hang up. I mean it. Why won't you leave me alone? Damn you, stop that! Stay something! Please? I'm going to hang up, I tell you. What's your problem? Leave me alone! My husband is here and he'll take care of you! Stop that! Stop that!"

Back in the days of land lines I got a couple of calls from breathers. Here was my response.

Click.

Ring! Ring!

Click.

Ring!

Click.

End of problem.

I had a friend once who had a stalker. Now I can't imagine having a stalker. I own guns. But she had one. When she told me she felt sorry for him one winter night as he sat in his car staking our her house and took him hot chocolate I almost spit my cola in her face.

No damn wonder her stalker kept on stalking!

Mute and derender. Say it after me. If you really don't want the drama, mute and derender.

Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • Life 2.0... Finally
    Sweetie and I have been wanting to see Jason Springarn-Koff's 2009 Second Life-based documentary Life 2.0 since forever. Tonight we fou...
  • Glitch and Happenstance: Part I: Capturing the Moment
    Written 25 January, 2011 Glitch and Happenstance Part I: Capturing the Moment Here's a collection of photos I've taken over the year...
  • Chey's Hair Base
    Written 21 November, 2010 Chey's Hair Base I have a long head which is not attractive when I'm not wearing prim hair. Of course, I a...
  • Glitch and Happenstance: Part III: Contrived Photos
    Written 25 January, 2011 Glitch and Happenstance Part III: Contrived Photos Police Raid on the Forsaken Sim Adventures in Perspective My fri...
  • Glitch and Happenstance: Part VI: Sweetie, Snapshot Wizard
    Written 25 January, 2011 Glitch and Happenstance Part VI: Sweetie, Snapshot Wizard
  • Micro Ostrich
    That's me at Sweetie's feet-- A tiny ostrich with a windup key. Just LOOK how tiny!
  • I Work on the Swamp
    Written 7 June, 2011 I Work on the Swamp I tweaked the little swamp on Whimsy today-- added a crane and a red-eared turtle and this lurking ...
  • Plants
    Three-Prim Plants Make the World A Better Place Written 6 March, 2011 Plants I love Second Life plants. They transform inhospitable landscap...
  • Runaway Giraffes
    Written 19 November, 2010 Runaway Giraffes Our sim neighbor Leaf has put a herd of giraffes on the Whimsical Mischief sim, which can be foun...
  • Kaboom Rocket
    Written 27 January, 2011 Kaboom Rocket For a while now Sweetie and I have been puzzing about how to transport avatars from this little islan...

Categories

  • Marnix (1)
  • Second Life (1)

Blog Archive

  • ►  2013 (74)
    • ►  September (2)
    • ►  August (6)
    • ►  July (7)
    • ►  June (15)
    • ►  May (7)
    • ►  April (4)
    • ►  March (25)
    • ►  February (3)
    • ►  January (5)
  • ►  2012 (101)
    • ►  December (3)
    • ►  November (14)
    • ►  October (23)
    • ►  September (10)
    • ►  August (17)
    • ►  July (2)
    • ►  June (3)
    • ►  May (7)
    • ►  March (9)
    • ►  February (7)
    • ►  January (6)
  • ▼  2011 (198)
    • ►  December (20)
    • ►  November (15)
    • ►  October (9)
    • ►  September (31)
    • ►  August (12)
    • ►  July (15)
    • ►  June (9)
    • ▼  May (12)
      • Candid Photo
      • Thin Music: Part IV: Second Life Streams
      • Thin Music: Part III: Music Goes Portable
      • Thin Music: Part II: Fidelity Fades Away
      • Thin Music: Part I: High Fidelity
      • Let's Party Like It's 2011
      • Butt Culture in Second Life
      • Giving a Presentation with Sweetie
      • Can't... Reach... the... Mute... Button... ARRGH!
      • Mute and Derender
      • Gopher
      • Why Newbies Need to Activate Advanced Mode
    • ►  April (20)
    • ►  March (15)
    • ►  February (17)
    • ►  January (23)
  • ►  2010 (127)
    • ►  December (26)
    • ►  November (20)
    • ►  October (50)
    • ►  September (18)
    • ►  August (13)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile